Founded in 1842, Bann Rowing Club is one of the oldest and most successful in the whole of Ireland – leading the Secretary to comment on the number of Olympians that have come through BRC over the years. In addition, the published listing for their premises recognises the “long established history of Bann Rowing Club on this site” and that “the building also constitutes an important social role within the local community”. With this in mind, it was suggested offering the Club 10% of the overall costs of replacing wooden/composite launching steps at the Boathouse. Estimated at £25,000 (including associated labour) – and with approx £9-10,000 raised or promised so far, the Committee recognised that 10% was more than we would usually offer. However, Cllr George Duddy was keen to see young people engaging in sporting activities made open/accessible to all; welcomed the interest built on previous successes; and believed Bann Rowing Club were great ambassadors. With his recommendation, and acknowledging that the work will offer greater longevity and safeguard continued use of the building as a community-based facility, the Committee agreed a grant of £2,500.